Popcorn News – June 21

A U.S. release date has been set for the British horror film The Awakening.  The period film starring Rebecca Hall (The Town, Vicky Cristina Barcelona), Dominic West (John Carter, Centurion) and Imelda Staunton (the Harry Potter films) will open in theaters on August 10. (ShockTillYouDrop)

With the blu-ray debut of Barbarella on the horizon (7/3), it’s been announced that producer Martha De Laurentiis and director Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive) are developing a TV series based on the character made famous by Jane Fonda back in 1968.  Refn will direct and executive produce the series alongside De Laurentiis. (Deadline)

Despite previously stating he wasn’t going to be involved, Hans Zimmer is set to score the new Superman film, Man of Steel.  The Zack Snyder helmed picture will be released on June 14, 2013. (Variety)

Rob Zombie (the upcoming The Lords of Salem) is making a departure from horror films with his next project, Broad Street Bullies, which he is set to write, produce and direct.  The film is about “the Philadelphia Flyers hockey team that evolved from a cellar-dwelling expansion team into a team that racked up victories and penalty minutes in equal measure during the 1970s.”  Zombie stated that the tone of the story is “Rocky meets Boogie Nights on ice.” (Deadline)

Ed Helms is joining Paul Rudd, Amy Poehler and Noureen DeWulf in the upcoming comedy directed by David Wain, They Came Together.  The film is written by David Wain and Michael Showalter, who previously wrote Wet Hot American Summer together. (Deadline)

Universal is moving forward on Jurassic Park 4 by hiring Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver (Rise of the Planet of the Apes) to write the screenplay for the next entry in the franchise.  Steven Spielberg won’t be directing the film but will produce it alongside Kathleen Kennedy. (Ain’t It Cool News)

Amber Heard (Drive AngryThe Rum Diary) has been cast in the upcoming thriller Paranoia.  She joins the cast that includes Liam Hemsworth, Harrison Ford, Gary Oldman and Julian McMahon in the Robert Luketic directed film about a blue-collar guy who finds himself forced to become a corporate spy. (Variety)

On September 25, 2012, for a limited time only, fifteen of the most acclaimed films by legendary director Alfred Hitchcock will be released on Blu-ray for the first time ever in the Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection boxset.  The films included are Saboteur, Shadow of a Doubt, Rope, Rear Window, The Trouble with Harry, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Vertigo, The Birds, Marnie, Torn Curtain, Topaz, Frenzy, Family Plot as well as the previously released North by Northwest and Psycho. (ShockTillYouDrop)

The Alamo Drafthouse’s distribution label Drafthouse Films is offering a “Drafthouse Alliance” membership program.   For $124.99, you can become a member of the Drafthouse Alliance and you will get either a Blu-ray or DVD (and digital download) of a current Drafthouse Films title of your choice (The FP or Bullhead), plus the next 9 releases shipped automatically to your door.  Each member also gets exclusive deals, bonus gifts and screening opportunities throughout the year. (Badass Digest)

Other Blu-ray release news:  Friends: The Complete Series on 11/13, Lost Girl: Season One on 10/23, Lost Girl: Season Two on 11/13, High Fidelity on 8/7 and Abott & Costello Meet Frankenstein on 9/4. (The Digital Bits)

Rosie Huntington Whiteley (Transformers: Dark of the Moon) has joined the cast of Mad Max: Fury Road, which is being directed by George Miller and stars Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron.  She will play one of the five wives in the film. (Deadline)

The new episode of Ain’t It Cool with Harry Knowles is now online.  Harry sits down and talks with Seth Grahame-Smith about Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. (Ain’t It Cool News).

Advertisements

Tags: , , , , , , ,

10 Comments on “Popcorn News – June 21”

1. saymber June 22, 2012 at 11:55 am #

I agree with many folks here – The Awakening looks like one worth seeing.

2. Nannimcb June 21, 2012 at 10:11 pm #

Awakenings sounds like a must!

3. Ben McBride June 21, 2012 at 5:21 pm #

Yea, I’m looking forward to discovering his other films.

4. rwhyan June 21, 2012 at 4:29 pm #

Oh for sure. It’s going to be expensive no doubt. At least you havn’t seen them so you have something to look forward to. I actually own all of these films because i bought the box set that was pretty much identical to this one years ago. I just want them on blu ray! I can say tho, that the all the films in this box set are great and worth checking out. Some of his very underrated films are in the set.

5. Ben McBride June 21, 2012 at 3:38 pm #

As a film fan, I’m ashamed to say I haven’t seen about half of those films. However, I’d really like this box set for all the films I’ve seen and love and to get to see all the other ones I haven’t seen and watch them for the first time in high-def. Psycho looks crazy good on blu-ray. The only downside to the box set will undoubtedly be the price tag. Gotta start saving now!

6. rwhyan June 21, 2012 at 3:17 pm #

I’m a huge Hitchcock fan and I’ve been waiting for a boxset on bluray like this to release! I really don’t want to wait until Sep. tho.

7. Ben McBride June 21, 2012 at 2:18 pm #

Your welcome! I’m looking forward to most of these things in some capacity but I’m uber-excited for The Awakening (I may or may not have a crush on Rebecca Hall, plus it looks like a fun horror film) as well as for a Barbarella TV show with Nicholas Winding Refn. I don’t think a Barbarella film could get made properly in today’s film climate. It would be missing the overt sexuality that was a big part of the first one and I think it could be done justice on TV, if it gets aired on something like Showtime or HBO. I can’t forget to mention my extreme enthusiasm for David Wain and Michael Showalter’s new film, I’m a big fan of their brand of comedy.

8. Ben McBride June 21, 2012 at 2:14 pm #

I didn’t really care for The Lost World much and Jurassic Park 3 was kind of mindlessly entertaining, though I haven’t seen that one in awhile so I don’t know if it holds up at all. However, having the writers of Rise of the Planet of the Apes brought on board to write the next installment is really good news. I look forward to seeing what they do for the Jurassic Park franchise and I remain hopeful for something better than the second or third film. It won’t be able to eclipse the original but I hope they do something fun and smart with it.

9. Richard W Scott June 21, 2012 at 2:06 pm #

Looking forward to, well, some of these. ))
    Thanks for the post!

10. NICK June 21, 2012 at 1:41 pm #

Jurassic Park 4!! 3 kind of sucked…but dammit…I’ll take any JP I can get!