Popcorn News – June 7

Warner Bros. is developing a number of DC Comics properties.  They have hired Michael Goldenberg (Green Lantern) to write a new Wonder Woman film.  They hired Marc Guggenheim and Michael Green (both writers on Green Lantern as well) to write The Flash for director Greg Berlanti (Life As We Know It).  They also are taking another crack at the Justice League of America movie and have hired Will Beall (Gangster Squad) to write the film.  Finally, they have Lobo in development with a new draft being written by Brad Peyton. (Variety)

Samuel L. Jackson is joining the cast of the RoboCop.  He joins Joel Kinnaman (The Killing) and Gary Oldman in the Jose Padilha directed remake. (Hollywood Reporter)

Marvel has found, not one, but two directors for Captain America 2.  The directing duo of Joe and Anthony Russo have been hired to tackle the sequel.  The brotherly team have directed films such as Welcome to Collinwood and You, Me and Dupree, as well as TV episodes for shows like Community, Happy Endings and Arrested Development. (Variety)

Screen Gems has released two news still from the upcoming Resident Evil: Retribution.  The sequel comes out September 14 and stars Milla Jovovich, Michelle Rodriguez, Sienna Guillory, Kevin Durand, Shawn Roberts and Colin Salmon. (Comingsoon.net)

Lucasfilm producer Rick McCallum spoke recently about the in-development Star Wars television show.  He says the 50 hours of scripted material they have faces issues when it comes to large budgets and the nature of the stories.  “Our biggest problem is that these stories are adult. I mean…these are like Deadwood in space. [It’s] so unlike anything you’ve ever associated with George before in relation to Star Wars. These aren’t for kids.” (Den of Geek)

George Clooney (The Ides of March) looks to have found his next directorial effort in The Yankee Comandante.  The film will be adapted from David Grann’s recent New Yorker article of the same name about an American who helped Castro and the Cuban rebels overthrow Fulgencio Batista. (Deadline)

Michael Bay stated in an interview that Transformers 4 will “include some redesign of the robots and an entirely new cast.  He also said it will be his last and set the franchise up “for the next guy.” (Hero Complex)

Tom Holland (Fright Night, Child’s Play) will be adapting Stephen King’s The Ten O’Clock People into a feature film.  Production on the film, which is based on the short story found in King’s Nightmares & Dreamscapes collection, is expected to start filming this summer. (ShockTillYouDrop)

Warner Home Video has announced the Blu-ray release of the cult favorite Masters of the Universe: 25th Anniversary Edition on October 2. (The Digital Bits)

Shout! Factory is gearing up to release a slew of blu-rays starting in September which include a new special edition of Halloween II and a 30th Anniversary Edition of Halloween III: Season of the Witch, both be released on 9/18.  They are also releasing John Carpenter’s They Live, Terror Train, The Funhouse, The Island, Deadly Blessing and Death Valley. (The Digital Bits)

It appears that Paramount may be developing Jackass 4: Bad Grandpa after the studio registered a lot of domain names this week that are all variants on the title. (What Culture)

Screenwriter Joby Harold (the upcoming All You Need Is Kill) is in negotiations with Warner Bros. to rewrite The Twilight Zone.  Matt Reeves (Cloverfield, Let Me In) is currently attached to direct and Leonardo DiCaprio’s Appian Way is producing.  Unlike the previous Twilight Zone which had four separate storylines, the new film will have a single narrative. (Variety)

The new episode of Ain’t It Cool with Harry Knowles is now online.  This episode features Harry talking with Phil Tippet about his new stop-motion animated project as well as geeking out over seeing Ridley Scott’s Prometheus. (Ain’t It Cool)

Advertisements

Tags: , , , , , , ,

8 Comments on “Popcorn News – June 7”

1. Ben McBride June 8, 2012 at 10:02 am #

I’m always up for a good discussion and I love horror as well, it is definitely my favorite genre.

2. NICK June 8, 2012 at 9:47 am #

I hear ya! Perhaps this Halloween I’ll give the 3rd flick another shot. It’s been YEARS! And I’m also a huge, huge Michael Myers fan. I agree it would’ve been cool for the Halloween series to be more of an “anthology” of scares…but most audiences would balk at that. I appreciate the discussion. I love, love, love Horror.

3. Ben McBride June 7, 2012 at 6:19 pm #

I enjoy it doing them so I’m happy to help spread the news!

4. Richard W Scott June 7, 2012 at 6:10 pm #

Excellent. I can’t believe how much I’ve come to depend upon your reports!

5. Ben McBride June 7, 2012 at 5:36 pm #

Yea, I’m actually not a big fan of Holland’s previous King adaptations (like The Langoliers) but I love Fright Night and Child’s Play, so I wouldn’t put it past him to make something fun.

6. Ben McBride June 7, 2012 at 5:35 pm #

I’ve never been huge on the Resident Evil films, even though I have seen them all.

I’m going to have to respectfully disagree with you on Halloween III. I wish more people would embrace it as it’s actually a fun little 80s horror movie with the legendary Tom Atkins. I once hated it because I didn’t understand why they would make a Halloween franchise movie that didn’t involve Michael Myers, one of my favorite horror icons. But once I saw it, I actually kind of dug it and thought that it’s actually a really dark and fun concept for a horror story. I’m literally the most excited about Halloween III coming to blu-ray out of any of the release news here, and in a 30th Anniversary Edition nonetheless! Well, They Live may equal it in terms of excitement. I can’t wait to see that in high def!

I think the direction of Halloween III is actually a really smart idea. I think it would be awesome to have a Halloween franchise in which every year, or every two years, we get a Halloween movie that is a different horror story. You don’t have to worry about repeating storylines or getting bogged down by unnecessary origin stories. You could have a new filmmaker telling a new story, injecting their own flavor while having a brand to sell the film under. However, I don’t think it would ever work popularity wise, I don’t think general audiences would get behind something like that. Franchises succeed because of familiarity. (Don’t get me wrong though, I like having multiple Michael Myers movies. I’m just not opposed to varying it up.)

7. rwhyan June 7, 2012 at 5:03 pm #

It seems like everyday a new Stephen King film adaptation is in the works. I’m a huge King fan (reading Needful Things now) and I always love to see his work being brought to life. Most of them are pure crap but some of them turn out to be brilliant like Stand By Me and The Shawshank Redemption to name a few.

8. NICK June 7, 2012 at 4:19 pm #

The Resident Evil series really lost me along the way. And can’t we pretend that Halloween 3 doesn’t exist!? I thought the world was cool with that? lol