Popcorn News – May 24

Gary Oldman has joined the Jose Padilha-directed remake of RoboCop.  He’s set to play the scientist who creates the cyborg technology that brings police officer Alex Murphy (Joel Kinnaman of AMC’s The Killing) back to life.  (Hollywood Reporter)

With G.I. Joe: Retaliation vacating the June 29th release date this summer, it looks like Seth McFarlane’s feature film directorial debut, Ted, will move from its July 13th spot to fill in for G.I. Joe 2‘s absence. (Ain’t It Cool News)

Chronicle director Josh Trank has signed with Sony Pictures to develop a film based on the video game Shadow of the Colossus of which he would direct.  Trank is also developing two Marvel films separately, the Fantastic Four reboot for FOX and the Spider-Man spinoff Venom for Sony. (Deadline)

A remake of The Exorcist is currently being developed, only as a ten episode TV series by Martha Marcy May Marlene writer/director Sean Durkin.  The limited series would examine the events leading up to a demonic possession and then the after-effects of how a family copes with it. (Vulture)

Title artwork for Guillermo del Toro’s upcoming film, Pacific Rim, can now be seen online.  The film also has received an official synopsis which you can read at the link. (Market Saw)

Natalie Portman will star in and produce Jane Got A Gun.  The revenge western is to be directed by Lynne Ramsay (We Need To Talk About Kevin). (Hollywood Reporter)

Creator Paul Fusco is pitching an idea for an ALF theatrical movie which would continue the character from the popular 80s TV show.  Fusco stated that “I don’t think we would duplicate the TV show, but I think we would maybe put it in a storyline where we would explain how ALF got here and put him with a new family and let the character speak for himself.” (IFpress.com)

MGM is developing a remake of The Magnificent Seven, with Tom Cruise attached to star.  No director has been hired yet but MGM is shopping around for a screenwriter for the project currently. (Variety)

Lionsgate has set the official Blu-ray and DVD release date for The Hunger Games on Aug. 18 at 12:01 AM, which is oddly enough a Saturday. (The Digital Bits)

Pauly Shore and Andy Dick have announced that In The Army Now 2 is now in the works with an outline already having been written for the sequel. (Ain’t It Cool News)

Sony has released two new stills featuring Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy in the upcoming The Amazing Spider-Man. (Comingsoon.net)

The latest episode of Ain’t It Cool With Harry Knowles is now available and features an appearance from legendary director John Landis and takes a look at the Monsterpalooza event that took place out in California. (Ain’t It Cool News)

Advertisements

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments on “Popcorn News – May 24”

1. Nolan McBride (@nolan_mcbride) May 24, 2012 at 5:13 pm #

MMMM was ‘interesting’? That was number four from last year, fool! NUMBER FOUR! It was amazing. And I don’t like The Exorcist, so this has a better chance to wow me.

2. NICK May 24, 2012 at 1:39 pm #

Martha Marcy was pretty interesting….I mostly enjoyed it, but wish it packed a bigger punch for the ending. I’m a fan of subtly, but was hoping for a little more.

3. Ben McBride May 24, 2012 at 1:25 pm #

I’ll have to check that out, I’ve never seen it. I like Oldman a lot as well and think he’s extremely versatile.

4. Richard W Scott May 24, 2012 at 1:23 pm #

A new RoboCop? Now THAT’s interesting for two reasons. 1, yet another remake of a movie. I really SHOULD be writing screenplays, and 2, GARY OLDMAN? Gary is the modern day Dustin Hoffman. Gary Oldman can do ANYTHING. If you ever get the chance, see him in “Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead”, an amazing film that had almost no press at all.

Love these reports!

5. Ben McBride May 24, 2012 at 1:23 pm #

Not at all haha. I’m not against The Exorcist because a) I thought Martha Marcy May Marlene was really interesting, so Durkin’s involvement has me curious and b) it’s being developed for TV. If this was something that ended up on HBO or Showtime or even on AMC, I think it could be really interesting and doesn’t clash against the original so much as a theatrical remake would. That’s just me though, I can understand why people wouldn’t want to see The Exorcist remade. I’d look at the TV remake as more of a companion piece.

6. NICK May 24, 2012 at 1:13 pm #

Is it wrong that I’m completely against The Exorcist thing, but totally into In the Army Now 2? hahaha